Nylas detects an email has been read by embedding an image pixel into the message HTML. The image pixel needs to be downloaded for Nylas to detect that the message was opened. Only the initial download is tracked.
Message open tracking count can be affected by:
- VPN caching
- Google caching
- Other caching layers/mechanisms
After a message has been sent, an immediate message.opened webhook is sent.
- VPN's cache the image pixel across multiple proxies resulting in multiple reads.
- Gmail caches the images the moment they receive them, returning in a message.opened webhook.
- Exclude your VPN IP address ranges
- Use open tracking with link clicks to determine that messages have been opened and clicks have been clicked.
- Remove recent objects with a
timestampof less than 1 minute of the message
"user_agent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/86.0.4240.75 Safari/537.36",
You are not getting notifications for read messages.
- The mail client only read text-based email and doesn't accept HTML.
- The mail client strips images from HTML emails.
- The mail client doesn't allow images to be downloaded.
- Reach out to the user and verify if they can accept images.
:fa-tags: gmail, vpn, caching, proxies, message tracking