Service accounts are a special type of account that represent a non-human user that needs to access multiple accounts within a single organization. They enable admins to onboard entire organizations at once into a new app or service without requiring each individual user to grant access; this is useful for organizations that have multiple accounts they want to connect with Nylas without interrupting the end users to complete their account authentication.
Service account integration is available with Nylas for providers:
- Google Workspace Service Accounts Setup
- Google Calendar support only
- Microsoft 365 Service Accounts Setup (Exchange Online)
Service accounts are only available via Nylas Native Auth; there are 3 main steps to using service accounts for authentication.
- Your customer's IT Administrator does a one-time configuration of service accounts for their G Suite or Office 365 Organization and shares the credentials with you.
- Your application uses the service account credentials to authenticate accounts via the /connect/authorize endpoint and receives a one-time code that can be exchanged for an access token.
- Use the one-time code to retrieve an
access_tokenfor the account. This access token can be used to query data from the Nylas API. See the /connect/token reference for details.
Learn how to set up a service accounts with: